Monday, March 2, 2015

Hokkaido Specialties



Hokkaido is a food-lover's dream. The seafood is always fresh, dairy products are creamy and smooth, and the produce is amazing. Hokkaido is also known for its miso ramen and curry soup, both of which originated there. My list of food to try while I was in Hokkaido was relatively short: miso ramen, curry soup, ice cream, and something new. While the miso ramen that I ate didn't come from a restaurant, it was still delicious, proving that you don't need a nice bowl or fancy place to get good food. I actually ate my miso ramen at Odori Park, the site of the Yuki Matsuri. There were various food vendors there and  eating some hot, miso ramen on a cold day really hit the spot :) 

My something new: miso uni (sea urchin) sushi. I'm familiar with ikura and salmon sushi, but had never tried uni before, so I took a gamble and tried it. Turns out, it was actually quite good! 

I usually avoid Hawaiian-themed places, but stopped outside this small place in Sapporo Station when I read that they had curry soup. As the name suggests, curry soup has a thinner consistency than regular curry, but since it was a Hokkaido specialty, I couldn't not order it when the opportunity came :) Japanese curry tends to be on the milder side despite some places having various levels of spiciness. The restaurant that I ate at had a range from 1-10 (1 being mild and 10 being very spicy) so I decided to try 7. It was damn spicy. Or, it could have been that the curry soup was hot (maybe a mixture of both), but that curry was very spicy :D I couldn't stop eating it though, and ended up finishing the entire bowl and plate of rice :) 


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment