Sunday, December 7, 2014

Golden Fall Leaves: Kinkakuji

Christmas is slowly coming and while I have a few pictures of some Christmas lights, that will be for a later post :)

Here is the first of several posts of my twelve-hour day in Kyoto :) My first stop was at Kinkakuji before I walked down the road to Ryoanji and then Ninnaji before meeting up with a couple of friends in downtown Kyoto. From there, we caught train up into the mountains of Kurama and Kifune for the light-ups before making our way back into Kobe.

To be honest, I hadn't ridden the bus in Kyoto until today so I was a little nervous since I was by myself, but it turned out just fine :) The bus stop was only a two minute walk to Kinkakuji and from there, my day started ^^


Already a line of people before the gates even opened. This was around 8:35 and the opening time was at 9:00. 

And this was the line only ten minutes later! Thank goodness I got there when I did.


Because there were hordes of people, including several high schools that were on their school trips. That meant a couple hundred students all rushing to take pictures as well!

Up-close...I couldn't believe that I was actually there!

I've only seen pictures of Kinkakuji so to see it in real-life was absolutely amazing :)




Orange on the left and red on the right with the colors blending seamlessly together in the middle ^^

Just one of a couple hundred students...


If you pay 500 yen, you can sit down for awhile and will also get a cup of hot, thick matcha along with a sweet :)


My wagashi even had golden flakes on it! And the design of Kinkakuji and a crane :)

When matcha is whisked right, it has a very thick and rich flavor and texture to it. It may not be a large cup, but it really hits the spot on a crisp fall morning :)






Had to pick up some munchies as omiyage :)


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment